The Shorewood Golf Club was formed in 1931 to build and own a golf course on the shores of Green Bay. In the spring of 1931, work was begun on the 9-hole layout, using the same construction company that created the Oneida Golf Club course. The course officially opened for play August 8, 1931 as a semi-public course for club members and those who paid the green fees. On August 8, 1931, the green fees were established at $.50 for 9 holes and $1.00 for 18 holes. It was so successful, that in 1937 plans to expand Shorewood became a reality. In 1940, an additional nine holes were constructed completing the course with 18 holes.
In the mid-1960s, the Northeast Wisconsin Education Committee began the work of creating a four-year university campus in Green Bay. On May 1966 discussion started to stir about the golf course land being taken. Talk included the land being condemned by Brown County to ultimately use for a University. September 22, 1967 the Brown County contested the right to condemn the golf course.
Numerous appeals were made and the issue was delayed. The major issue was that Shorewood felt that more property was being taken than actually needed for the University. December 3, 1968 the argument was brought to Supreme Court but the golf course land was sold in October of 1969. This has resulted in the remaining 9 hole layout that resides on the Unversity of Wisconsin-Green Bay campus.